Saturday, June 1, 2013

Review of 'Daughter of the Red Dawn (The Lost Kingdom of Fallada)' by Alicia Michaels

 

Book blurb from Amazon:

These are dark times in the land of Fallada, and I fear that they will only continue to grow darker. Only the return of those we’ve lost will even the score.

It will begin with first line of the prophecy, which foretells of a red sun over the desert sky…
--Adrah, Queen of the Fae

On the outside, seventeen year-old Selena McKinley is like any other teenage girl. Yet Selena has always felt as if she doesn’t belong and is counting the days to graduation and her freedom from the small town that makes her feel so out of place, when the arrival of a stranger turns her world upside down. Selena will learn just how different she is and the truth of where she comes from.

A lost princess, they call her, the catalyst for a war involving a world that Selena was taken from as a child.

An evil queen obsessed with her own beauty with a plan to enslave the human race.…the notion seems so silly, yet Selena knows in her heart that it is true. Then there is Titus, the shape shifter whose blue eyes and claims of destiny hold her heart captive. Can Selena find the strength to do what she must while following her heart?

**My thoughts**

I admit that when I started reading the first chapter, I was wondering if I had read this book before. It was eerily similar to another paranormal YA book that I had just read within the lats few months. I couldn't remember which book, though, and then quickly it became its own story. I still can't remember exactly of which other book I was thinking, because of how it changed.

I'm not typically a fan of stories involving fae. Perhaps I should say that I don't usually seek them out on my own, but will read them on occasion. This one was highly recommended, plus it comes from the Anchor Group. I am usually willing to give their books a chance. And I did enjoy this one. In fact, I read the first half while eating my lunch and then in a doctor's waiting room.

It's the first book in a series, so it has to spend a lot of time setting up Selena's past, her mistaken identity, her undiscovered powers, and the prophecy she is expected to fulfill. Of course there is the smoking hot werewolf who is determined to make her his mate. She has a long lost family. And the evil queen who is determined to do away with her. It's somewhat formulaic, but still an interesting story to read with enough of its own unique plot points and twists. Alicia Michaels has woven an intricate world, filled with plenty of descriptions to help you visualize it, without detracting from the narrative. 

The story could easily stand on its own, as it comes to a satisfying conclusion, but you can tell that there are more stories of Fallada to come. In fact, book 2 is due out this summer!

Fans of the fae are going to love this book, I think. If you like other books published by the Anchor Group, you are going to like this book.   



 Book 2 is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment